Tuesday, August 26, 2014

A Little Princess-Renassance Faire Style


There once was a little girl with brown hair named Sarah.
She had been invited to attend her very first Renaissance Faire.
But she  had a problem:
Sarah did not have proper clothes befitting her trip back into time.

Sarah is a distant relation of mine and when her mother asked me way back last winter if I would make Sarah a costume, I said absolutely! After all, making princess dresses is VERY important business and getting to play Fairy Godmother is something not to be turned down!
Her mother, Shayna, has a great knack at thrifting, so we spent virtually nothing on materials as she found a very gastly  "1980's does Victorian" prom dress which we were able to deconstruct for materials. She shipped it to me and when I pulled it out, I started thinking off ways to save the best of the dress, and scarp the worst parts, all while trying to achieve a Renaissance style instead of Victorian style. 
Since this was a costume for a little 3 year old to play in, my goal was not for a historically accurate garment. My goal was for a dress-up costume that made my cousin look...and feel...
like a Little Princess!
 This was a very relaxing and fun project. I am already planning Sarah's Christmas gift! 


The dress itself is two pieces, a white, pull over the head under-dress with flared blue sleeves; and a blue, sleeveless over dress, which laces up the front.
The under-dress has elastic on the sleeves and the neckline.

 
  
 The flared "medieval" cut sleeves are fully lined. Looks so sharp!

 There are bow decorations all over the dress. I found the ribbon at a yard sale! 


 Lacing and lace details on front overdress bodice.
Notice how incorporated the "Victorian" lace wherever I could?
Eyelets sewn by hand for delicacy.


Thr skirt on the over-dress  was salvaged from the hem of the Victorian prom dress, and therefore retains the lace and little "shirred " details. So pretty.


Top stitching on over-dress. The over-dress material was so thin, I triple lined it.


 The tops of the over-dress shoulders are not connected--they actually meet and tie through hand-sewn eyelets.


Hope you enjoyed seeing this. 
It was a blasts sewing this costume.
So tell me, did you play dress-up when you were young?
Do you remember having a favorite costume?

xoxox
Lexi






No comments:

Post a Comment