Monday, February 23, 2015

Easy Peasy Vintage Roll (A Curly Girl Approved Hair Style)

"The more we empty ourselves of us, God will fill us with Himself"

In life, sometimes I can freeze. I can be so scared of moving forward that I do not move at all. I fear leaving the controlled. I fear facing the unknown.
I become paralyzed.
I cannot imagine failing, again. I cannot bear falling, again. I do not want to struggle, any more than I have to now.
And that is when God leans down, off His majestic throne, and whispers close.
"Move, my daughter. If you fail, I will triumph, if you fall, I will pick you up, and when you struggle, I will be your STRENGTH!" 
And he smiles at me, in that loving, gracious way.
I take a deep breathe, and walk forward.
Into the unknown, yes. But into the beautiful, I am sure.

 ~*~*~*~*~*~
 Today I have a hairstyle to share with you all that works for my hair (curly curly curly!) and on other types of hair as well. Normally, I fail at hair. Having curly hair is a blessing and a curse (so to speak)  because it can be so hard to manage and a lot of hairstyles and products do not work on my curly, textured hair. But the "ah-ha!" moment came went I tried this style! I like it because it is old fashion and really elegant and classy.
 Easy Peasy Vintage Roll
*Suitable for mid-long hair lengths of all types*
 This "do" is super easy and you will need only two main tools, plus your favorite brush or comb.(Note: I have to wash/wet my hair and put gel or mousse in it every morning, and I do all that before I attempt this style, or any other).....

 You will need this awesome Conair Classiv Vintage Roll available at Walgreens for about $6, and extra bobby pins.  The Conair roll comes with a few bobby pins, but I suggest extras.

 I am going to show you how I do this hairstyle, which is a little different from the package directions, but it is wonderful because it hides the clear elastic that is attached to the roll.

1. First, separate a bit of front hair, like so. Keep it free, hanging in front of your face, for the next two steps.

 2. Then, you are going to place the sausage roll on the back of your head, the clear elastic sitting on your crown, the sausage sitting on the nape of your neck. 


3. Fasten bobby pins over the clear elastic to keep the elastic from sliding down.

4. Next, bring your loose hair forward and pin it in place over the elastic, so you have a small "bump" style.
 Like so. (notice the sausage roll in the back...)

5. This is the time when you can start winding your hair back, and slip it, once small chunk at a time, over and under the roll. I recommend starting from one side to the other, or working the first side a bit, then the second side a bit, and finishing with the middle. Thin haired gals, be careful to distribute evenly. Curly gals, it is okay to have small curls pop out, in fact, it looks super cute that way.

Use your fingers to push the hair way down and around the roll. 
Like so....I like using both hands for the final piece of hair.


6. The final step is to anchor your roll with LOTS of bobby pins. 

You are done!

The only thing left is to adorn your head, if you want to. I wear this style so often, I like to jazz it up a bit.
With a scarf:


Or some flowers:

Hope you enjoyed this! Please comment below with your favorite hairstyles!
xoxoxoxo
Lexi


7 comments:

  1. You look absolutely beautiful :) Hugs and blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was very helpful, thank you! I have to use tiny claw clips to secure the elastic band to my crown but because of the technique you showed with the front section of hair, it works perfectly. Again, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really awesome, I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I'm off to buy that vintage roll right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I'm off to buy that vintage roll right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I'm off to buy that vintage roll right now!

    ReplyDelete