Monday, July 13, 2015

Gold Spencer Jacket-Regency Sewing

"Life is too short not to wear gold sandals..."
-My Mother
My dear mama has said that as long as I can remember.  She owned a pair of gold sandals one summer and she wore them EVERY DAY. I am not the biggest fan of gold myself. I like silver better. But that really applies to jewelry, I am fine with gold clothing (especially as an accent, like this jacket). Which is good because awhile ago I found a gold drape at the thrift store and the moment to make a Regency Spencer had come at last.....
 
 
I have been itching for a spencer since...um...February? Yeah, somewhere about then. But I did not want to spend a bunch of money, I mean, historically sewing has to be done on a budget because its not really stuff I wear a lot. I ended up spending about $10 for this project. So, score!   I used the new Butterick regency pattern, B6074, with very few modifications. The main changes being adding buttons to an otherwise open (gaping) front, piping and trim details.
This spencer is not made from super thick material, so it is lined, even the sleeves. The collar is piped, and so are the cuffs. The braid looks like ric-rack but BELIEVE me, it most certainly is not! 
The sleeve trim designs were so much fun!
The waistband has lace and the buttons are "military" inspired.

It was super easy to make. I highly recommend the pattern! Its fun and delightful to wear as well! Definitely comfortable!
I hope you like the pictures! please comment below and tell me what you think!
Love you all!
Blessings,
Lexi













1 comment:

  1. What a gorgeous outfit!! I love your new spencer jacket; it looks lovely on you!! Isn't that a fun pattern to make? I made it a while back, and loved it, but unfortunately I didn't pay attention to the measurements ahead of time so it ended up too big. And you know how much fun taking it apart to make it smaller would be! None!!
    Gorgeous job!!

    ReplyDelete