Monday, February 29, 2016

Lacey Length-A DIY




Hey Folks,
A few days ago I grabbed this cute floral skirt at my local GoodWill thrift store for a few dollars. 

I think it will be great for springtime, but it's a little on the short side. 
I often add lace to the hems of dresses, it is so easy and makes for a cute detail and some added coverage!
This is so simple, it's really not worthy of a tutorial. However I've been meaning to share this method of making skirts longer (and classier!) for awhile. I hope the following will serve more as inspiration to add details to your clothes! It would also be a great first sewing project for people who want to get more comfortable stitching.

So, go thrift a cute skirt and get out your sewing machine!
~*~*~*~
What you need: skirt or dress, sewing machine, pins, scissors, lace trim
~*~*~*~
1. Pick out some lace trim that goes well with your fabric. I collect lace from thrift shops and various other places, so I had this mint lace in my stash! It is about 2.5 inches wide.

3. Spread your skirt out, measure the hem, and cut a lace strip that is a few inches longer than the hem circumference. You always can trim down what you don't need, it's harder to add on!

3. Find the center back of your skirt and mark it with a pin.
If you don't have a center back seam, press the side seams together and find the back from there. 

4. Starting at the center back, pin the lace around the hem. 
I placed the straight edge of my lace on top of my hem, but you could place your lace trim under the hem edge as well. You may have overhang lace when you reach the end, I recommend not trimming that quite yet.
NOTE: If your skirt is lined, I would recommend you still attach the lace onto the top layer. The reason being, sometimes linings are cut narrower than the main skirt and the lace will hang better when it is as full as the top layer. 

5. Select a zig-zag stitch on your machine. I like a longer zig zag, that is not too wide. Zig zags are great for attaching trims onto garments. 

6. Starting at the center back, stitch close to edge.

7. At the end, trim down excess lace, but leave about 1/2 an inch to turn under, overlapping the raw edge of the starting edge. 

8. Pivot, and stitch down the overlapping lace edges.

9. Trim all your threads and enjoy! 
Sometimes I will layer different laces on top of each other for longer looks.  You can add darker and lighter laces together, just play around and have fun. 

Here is another example of a lace hem I've done (this one added a good 3-4 inches!):

Here is how everything looked when I put together my outfit for today! Not bad for a thrifted skirt and some vintage lace!

Much love to you,
~Yours Ever Sewing~
Lexi

No comments:

Post a Comment