Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Civil War Dress 2016

  


Battle for Valverde 2016 

Two weekends ago was the reenactment folks! Yes! Tis true, it took me that long to post this!
I had such a lovely time, and though this past week has been hard, I wanted to begin this new week on the right foot. Or, at least, on a happy foot!
 
I worked on my new plaid dress after work and in between my very crazy February schedule.
February was good, but such a busy (too busy!) month! I sewed the dress in a month, which is usually plenty of time, but it was a stretch for me this time around.
It did not hurt that I had SNAGGED a 9 yard bolt of this plaid last summer for $12!
While madras plaid is not really period correct, it is 100% cotton and when it was sewn up, looks pretty period.
At least, I think so!
~*~
 I used a wonderful Laughing Moon pattern. 
(Shown above with the pagoda sleeve option!) 
I recommend this pattern, with the warning that the darts in the bodice are cute really deep! 
There are some "remedies" for this in the package (wink-wink) but I would have just rather cut a size smaller and adjusted the darts to fit better.
The coat sleeves (read more on them here) was the main reason I bought this pattern last summer when I had extra Etsy money.
So worth it!
 I love the curved "straight" sleeves of this period!
 (Coat sleeves, trimmed in black velvet ribbon)

It also came with a pocket pattern...win for the ages!
I will never sew a dress I plan to wear around the camp grounds without a pocket again! No purse was needed, and I looked very historical without my phone in sight! (Although it was there!)
~*~
Anyhootle, we drove down to the small town it was held near on Friday night, rested in our hotel, and spend the entire Saturday participating at the various events! 


Here's my My Mother-dear and I at the battle sight! She is my best friend, love her so much!


We went to eat after that, and here is how I eat nachos in my outfit....
Padre lent me his shirt!

After being outside for the battle (and eating nachos!), we went to an old, historic "opera" house and held our tea/fashion show and then our ball. We call it a "fandango" out here in the west!
Back view of dress and swiss waist belt....
Side view...

The tea was loevly, and I helped host the fashion show this year as well. 
The ball was super LOVELY, and I danced from 6:30-10 pm. Sorry I do not have pictures of my ball-dress, I was in a bit of a rush.
 Of the 6 years I have attended this event,  it was really the best so far! People are gaining interest in it, and we had a great turn out from the non-reenacting community. 

To document this day, I have a simple video to share,
Enjoy,
Yours
~ever enjoying life~
Lexi

12 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Lexi!!! That is amazing and gorgeous!!! I wish I could have been there with you. It looks like so much fun!! And the lace cuffs that you showed in the beginning of the video, did you make those? And if so, where did you get the pattern from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! Thanks for the comment Erudessa! My friend crocheted them for my ball dress ensemble a couple years ago! Aren't they lovely?

      Delete
    2. They are gorgeous!! Do you know where she got the pattern from?

      Delete
    3. I will try to find out for you dear!

      Delete
  2. That is so cool! :) I'm glad you had a good time. Your dress is just lovely and it looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a very enjoyable time. Lovely dress! You're very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look Gorgeous, Lexi!!! :-) Just LOOK at that pretty skirt. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous dress, Lexi!! The plaid fabric is soooo perfect, and the design is beautiful! Amazing job! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Esther, that means a lot to me!

      Delete
  6. Hello dear Lexi! Oh, I am so glad you were partnered with Ashleigh in the teacup exchange...she is such a sweet, special penfriend and it is one of my dearest wishes to meet her in person someday...{{smiles}}
    And it is true...this blogging world is small and ever so lovely!

    Your civil war dress is amazing...I admire your sewing skills! What fun to take part in an re-enactment...thank you for sharing with us!

    Many blessings!
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete