Saturday, July 30, 2016

Life-Lesson in Decision Making

 "Call to Me and I will answer you and tell you GREAT and WONDROUS things you do not know"
Jeremiah 33:3 (emphasis added)


Decision making---also known as "What I hate most in life."
Seriously.
I fully applaud you if you have the "making God-guided decisions" thing down pat.
You are truly my super-hero!

I am learning a lot about decision making, specifically as it applies to hard choices, that go contrary to advice.

After a little episode in my life recently, I am convinced that good-decision making is more a learned skilled than a natural talent.
Amen?

Let us just say that I made some plans for next summer, which everyone in my life was really for!
These were really awesome plans! Really, ya know, good plans!
I was excited...
until I prayed, at which point uneasiness took over.

But my prayers for direction were mixed up with a lot of fear.
Fear of not making the right choice.
I was never at peace either way.
So I went with the advice of others and made the plans.

Months went by.....

Still no peace.

I struggled until I could bear it no longer...
What can I say?
I like being at peace!

I had to back track.

I had to pray some more, and ask for clarity and boldness.

And I know in my heart of hearts that for many people these plans would be awesome!
But for some reason, which I can't explain, I just feel a really big
"no."
To the whole thing!

I can't say what will happen next summer, and if there is a reason to stay put here in town.

Maybe something big, like a family crisis or something, will hit.
Or maybe just being there for my annual church events is the reason.

Maybe the money involved for these plans (which I had saved up), needs to be used elsewhere.

I don't know.

If nothing else,  I can say that I have made a tough call, on my own convictions, through prayer.

That in itself is worth more than any fun plans!

I am blessed to have supporting parents who don't give me a hard time about missing
"opportunities".
And friends who, when they heard my concerns, said to do what I felt was best.

I am blessed to have a nice instructor who I came back to,  and who is now attempting to get me untangled from the commitment.

So, hopefully, if all goes well, my plans can be undone.
My Padre was wonderful and told me that either way, I am in the center of God's will and will be taken care of.

And that of course, is what I needed to hear!

Overall, my final thoughts from this dramatic life-lesson (which probably is not at all as serious as I think it is!) boils down to this:

Decision making is a part of character building for Christians.
It's a tool that God uses to strengthen our faith in Him, and hones our personal discernment skills.
It is good for surrendered Christians to be able to stand with boldness upon what they feel the Holy Spirit is saying.

As I learned from a speaker at church camp, the best decision for me, might not be the same for you.

My hope is that this lesson, (regardless of how next summer pans out), enables me to make the best choice, the FIRST TIME, when I am again faced with this sort of situation.

I was great encouraged by these words at Proverbs 31.org
Terrified of making a bad decision, we lay all of our choices at God’s feet and ask Him, “What is Your will for my life?”
But, what if God’s will for us is that we develop the wisdom and discernment to make our own decisions in light of His Word, and the faith and confidence to know He will be there guiding us regardless of which path we choose?
Doesn’t that sound freeing?
- See more at: http://proverbs31.org/devotions/devotion-category/making-wise-decisions/page/2/#sthash.MXT29nM9.dpuf
Terrified of making a bad decision, we lay all of our choices at God’s feet and ask Him, “What is Your will for my life?”
But, what if God’s will for us is that we develop the wisdom and discernment to make our own decisions in light of His Word, and the faith and confidence to know He will be there guiding us regardless of which path we choose?
Doesn’t that sound freeing?
- See more at: http://proverbs31.org/devotions/devotion-category/making-wise-decisions/page/2/#sthash.8qgd4EBS.dpuf
Terrified of making a bad decision, we lay all of our choices at God’s feet and ask Him, “What is Your will for my life?”
But, what if God’s will for us is that we develop the wisdom and discernment to make our own decisions in light of His Word, and the faith and confidence to know He will be there guiding us regardless of which path we choose?
Doesn’t that sound freeing?
- See more at: http://proverbs31.org/devotions/devotion-category/making-wise-decisions/page/2/#sthash.8qgd4EBS.dpuf
Terrified of making a bad decision, we lay all of our choices at God’s feet and ask Him, “What is Your will for my life?”
But, what if God’s will for us is that we develop the wisdom and discernment to make our own decisions in light of His Word, and the faith and confidence to know He will be there guiding us regardless of which path we choose?
- See more at: http://proverbs31.org/devotions/devotion-category/making-wise-decisions/page/2/#sthash.8qgd4EBS.dpuf
Terrified of making a bad decision, we lay all of our choices at God’s feet and ask Him, “What is Your will for my life?”
But, what if God’s will for us is that we develop the wisdom and discernment to make our own decisions in light of His Word, and the faith and confidence to know He will be there guiding us regardless of which path we choose?
- See more at: http://proverbs31.org/devotions/devotion-category/making-wise-decisions/page/2/#sthash.8qgd4EBS.dpuf
Terrified of making a bad decision, we lay all of our choices at God’s feet and ask Him, “What is Your will for my life?”
But, what if God’s will for us is that we develop the wisdom and discernment to make our own decisions in light of His Word, and the faith and confidence to know He will be there guiding us regardless of which path we choose?
- See more at: http://proverbs31.org/devotions/devotion-category/making-wise-decisions/page/2/#sthash.8qgd4EBS.dpuf
Terrified of making a bad decision, we lay all of our choices at God’s feet and ask Him, “What is Your will for my life?”
But, what if God’s will for us is that we develop the wisdom and discernment to make our own decisions in light of His Word, and the faith and confidence to know He will be there guiding us regardless of which path we choose?
- See more at: http://proverbs31.org/devotions/devotion-category/making-wise-decisions/page/2/#sthash.8qgd4EBS.dpuf

Terrified of making a bad decision, we lay all of our choices at God’s feet and ask Him, “What is Your will for my life?”
But, what if God’s will for us is that we develop the wisdom and discernment to make our own decisions in light of His Word, and the faith and confidence to know He will be there guiding us regardless of which path we choose?
Doesn’t that sound freeing?
- See more at: http://proverbs31.org/devotions/devotion-category/making-wise-decisions/page/2/#sthash.MXT29nM9.dpuf
Terrified of making a bad decision, we lay all of our choices at God’s feet and ask Him, “What is Your will for my life?”
But, what if God’s will for us is that we develop the wisdom and discernment to make our own decisions in light of His Word, and the faith and confidence to know He will be there guiding us regardless of which path we choose?
Doesn’t that sound freeing?
- See more at: http://proverbs31.org/devotions/devotion-category/making-wise-decisions/page/2/#sthash.MXT29nM9.dpuf
"Terrified of making a bad decision, we lay all of our choices at God’s feet and ask Him, “What is Your will for my life?”
But, what if God’s will for us is that we develop the wisdom and discernment to make our own decisions in light of His Word, and the faith and confidence to know He will be there guiding us regardless of which path we choose?
Doesn’t that sound freeing?
God wants us to learn how to choose well. That may be why, when we look at the Bible, there is no chapter devoted to "How to know God’s will for your life.” Paul doesn’t write about “6 Steps to Determine If He’s the One” or “5 Ways to Discern God’s Best Career Path for You.”
What we do see are statements like this: “If any of you is lacking in wisdom, ask God, who gives to all generously and ungrudgingly, and it will be given you” (James 1:5, NRSV).....
So the next time you face a difficult decision, instead of asking God what His will is for your life, begin by asking for wisdom."

So there you have it!
I beg of you, if you have to make big plans, please make sure you have prayed carefully and received peace.


~Yours ever trying to make up her mind!~
Lexi


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing what's on your heart, Lexi! I'm not really good at making decisions either. ;) The quote you shared at the end was interesting and encouraging.

    ReplyDelete