Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Ash Wednesday

"...We pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.
 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." 2 Corinthians 5:20b-21
 
For many Christians/Catholics around the globe, today is the beginning of Lent. A season well-known for giving up a human pleasure, in order to prepare the heart for Easter. While I know plenty of fellow Evangelical Christians who participate in some way during Lent, I do not know, personally, any who take part in an Ash Wednesday service.
Besides it being the official start of Lent, I began asking myself what Ash Wednesday really symbolized.
What was the purpose of the ashes?
I probably could have googled it, but my mother and I decided to attend an Ash Wednesday service at the local Methodist church instead.
 
Ashes symbolize the fact that we are mortal, and that Christ took on mortal flesh in order to give us eternal life.
 
The service stood as a reminder that life, while beautiful and vibrant in it's time, will end someday.
 This season before Easter is one in which to reflect on the magnitude of the sacrifice that "paid it all."
It was a really lovely time of reflection for both my mother and I. The ashes on so many thousands of foreheads today are really just an outward sign of the truth that is hopefully burning in people's hearts. The truth that we must lose our life to find it, and die to self to be born in Christ.

What do you think of Ash Wednesday or Lent?
Is there a symbol that means something special to you in your walk with God?

With Love,
Lexi
 


1 comment:

  1. I love the time of Lent - if done properly, letting it get down deep into the heart, it is a beautiful time of reflection and anticipation of the best of all holidays in the Christian calendar. But I have to admit that I hadn't thought of actually starting it off in the traditional fashion with Ash Wednesday! Sounds like it was an interesting and thought provoking new experience - thanks for sharing your thoughts, Lexi!

    ReplyDelete